You can use the following formats in U.S. English for in-text citations and bibliographies:
- MLA (Modern Language Association), 8th edition
- APA (American Psychological Association), 7th edition
- Chicago Manual of Style Author-Date format, 17th edition
Note: We currently do not support the Notes and Bibliography format.
Tip: For unsupported formats that are similar, you might be able to adapt a supported format to meet your needs.
You're on step 1 of 4
How the format works with the bibliography
How you title your bibliography depends on the format and which sources are included.
- Works cited or References—These titles are recommended by the MLA, APA, and Chicago style guides where the bibliography only includes cited sources.
- Works consulted—This title can be used with the MLA format when you include sources that you did not cite, but that the reader might find useful. If you want to use this title, update the title manually.
Set the citation format
Open your document in Docs.
- Click ToolsCitations.
- In the Citations section, click the Down arrow and select a format.