With the default inbox in Gmail, you can choose which email you want to see first, such as messages you haven't read or ones you mark as important.
In this section, you learn how to:
Choose which type of email you want to see at the top of your inbox:
- Open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings .
- Under Inbox Type, click Default and choose an option:
- Important first
- Unread first
- Starred first
Note: You'll see the Important, Unread, and Starred sections appear at the top of your inbox. You can see the rest of your email under Everything else.
- (Optional) To hide email in a section, next to the section heading, click the Up arrow .
- To show email again, click the Down arrow .
To organize email in your default inbox, you can:
- Switch to labels from folders.
- Create and apply labels.
- Move email out of your inbox.
- Star important email.
- Delete or archive unwanted email.
To find out more, see Get started with Gmail.