You can add, update, or remove phone numbers on your Google Account. Phone numbers are used for different reasons, and you have controls to manage how your numbers are used.
Important: It may take a week before you can use your new phone number to verify it's you for sensitive actions like changing your password.
Add, update or remove phone number
- Open your Google Account.
- Under "Personal info," select Contact info Phone.
- From here you can:
- Add your phone number: Next to phone, select Add a recovery phone to help keep your account secure. Select the country associated with your phone number from the drop-down menu and enter your phone number.
- Change your phone number: Next to your number, select Edit Update number.
- Delete your phone number: Next to your number, select Delete Remove number.
- In the box that appears, follow the instructions.
Note: Changing the number in your Google Account only affects some Google services. Find out how to change your number for other Google services.
How phone numbers are used
Your phone number is connected to certain Google services that you've set up or used.
To see some services that use your phone number, check the Phone section of your Google Account. To learn more or make changes, click or tap the service.
Other Google services that use phone numbers might not be listed on that page. You can change your number in certain services' settings, like the ones below:
- 2-Step Verification
- Calendar: Learn how phone numbers are used
- Chrome: Learn how phone numbers are used
- Google Pay
- Google My Business
Change how your number is used
To see your options for a certain service, go to its settings. If you need help, visit support.google.com.
Make sign-in & account recovery easier
Help people get in touch with you
You can manage who sees your phone number. To change who can view your number, go to About me.
Learn how your phone number can help people find and connect with you on Google services. To change these settings, go to the Phone section of your Google Account.
Turn "Better ads & Google services" on or off
This setting lets your phone number to be used across Google services to show you ads more relevant to you. If you don’t want personalized ads, turn off the setting.
- Open your Google Account.
- On the left or at the top, click Personal info.
- In the "Contact info" section, click Phone.
- Select the phone number that you want to make changes to.
- Under "Preferences," turn on or off "Better ads and Google services."
If "Across Google" is listed on your "Phone" page, this number can be used across Google services.
Check if your number is used this way
- Go to the Phone section of your Google Account.
- Next to "Usage," look for "Across Google."
Stop using your number across Google
Verify your phone number
When you set up a Google Account, you can let Google know your phone's number. If you do, we'll verify that the number is yours, and we'll try to re-verify it from time to time to make sure that it's still yours. Learn more about verifying your number.
Google doesn’t sell your personal information, including your phone number, to anyone. To learn more, visit privacy.google.com.