If you don’t want to enter your password each time you sign in to your Google Account, you can get a Google prompt sent to your phone instead.
Google prompts are push notifications that help confirm it’s you. When you turn on the option to sign in with your phone, you also add another way to prove it’s your account if you forget your password.
Important: This feature isn't available if you have 2-step verification enabled on your account.
To sign in with your phone instead of a password, you need:
- Go to your Google Account.
- In the navigation panel, tap Security.
- Under "Signing in to Google," tap Use your phone to sign in Set it up.
You may need to sign in.
- Follow the on-screen steps.
- If Touch ID isn't turned on, turn it on. Follow the on-screen steps.
Tip: You’ll get prompts on any eligible devices that are signed in to your account.
Sign in with your phone
- When you sign in to your Google Account, enter your email address or phone number.
- Tap Next to get a reminder to check your phone.
- On your iPhone, at the top, tap the notification.
- Under "Trying to sign in?," tap Yes.
- If your phone isn't nearby, you can tap Use password or other options on the sign-in screen.
You might need to take extra steps to sign in
If we notice something different about how you sign in, like your location, you may need to take extra steps to confirm it's you. For example, you might need to match a number between your computer screen and your phone screen.
If your phone doesn't show up in the "Your phone" section of the setup process, make sure you have:
Your phone isn't nearby or you can't use it
In some cases, you might need to use your password to sign in, like when:
- You don't have your phone.
- Your phone isn't charged.
- Your phone is offline.
If this happens:
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Tap Use password or other options.
- Choose one of the options, and follow the on-screen steps.
To sign on with a Google prompt instead of your password, Touch ID must be turned on.
- On your iPhone, open Settings.
- Select Touch ID & Passcode.
- Enter your passcode.
- Tap Add a Fingerprint and follow the on-screen instructions.
Your phone is lost
Touch ID helps protect your Google Account if your phone's lost or stolen since no one can unlock it to sign in to your account.
Even if your phone has Touch ID, we recommend you sign out on a device you no longer use.
Stop signing in with your phone
- Go to the security section of your Google Account.
- Under "Signing in to Google," tap Use your phone to sign in.
- At the top, tap Turn off.