You can add breaks or adjust the margins of your document. The 3 types of breaks you can add are:
- Page break
- Section break within a page
- Page break before a selected paragraph
Add section & page breaks
- Open a Google Doc.
- Select a section of your content.
- At the top, click Insert Break.
- Choose a break type.
- To start on a new page, click Page break.
- To start a new section on the same page, click Section break (continuous).
Tip: You can change the margins or page numbers of different section breaks. Learn how to use document outlines & rulers. Learn how to add or remove headers, footers & page numbers.
Add a page break before a paragraph
To insert a page break before a paragraph:
- Select the entire paragraph or click anywhere into the paragraph.
- Select an option:
• In the toolbar, go to Line & paragraph spacing Add page break before.
• At the top, go to Format Line & paragraph spacing Add page break before.
Tip: To have a heading stay at the top of a new page, you can select it and use Add page break before.
Show or hide section breaks
By default, section breaks are hidden when you open a document. To show lines where you’ve added section breaks:
- Open your doc.
- At the top, click View Show section breaks.
- To hide the section break again, click Show section breaks.
- When you set section break lines to be visible or hidden, that setting will be the same for all documents you open until you change it.
- Open a document in Google Docs.
- Select a section of your text, graphics, or images.
- At the top, drag the triangle to where you want the margin to be.
Tip: If you have multiple sections, click FilePage Setup. At the top, choose which sections to change. Set your margins, and click Ok.