Stay up-to-date with the latest updates in Google Docs:
September 2022Add place chips to find location information
Create a place chip in your document to:
- Quickly open the location in Google Maps.
- View the location in the Google Maps side panel.
- Find directions to the location.
August 2022Insert emojis into your document
Search for and add emojis to your documents. Learn how to use emojis in Google Docs.
April 2022Add dropdowns & building blocks to your document
- Add and customize dropdown chips that can be set to different options.
- Use building blocks to insert meeting notes, email drafts, and table templates to help you organize your work.
From Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides, you can:
- Join a Google Meet video meeting
- Present directly to a Google Meet video meeting
February 2022Add a summary to your document
January 2022Use text watermarks in Google Docs
October 2021Add items with the @ menu
- Link to people, files, and events
- Add items to a Google Doc
September 2021Use image watermarks in Google Docs
Layer images above and below text in Docs
You can change the text wrapping of an image to "In front of text" or "Behind text" to layer images above and underneath text in Docs. Learn more about how to position and edit images in Docs.
September 2020Add & manage citations & a bibliography in Google Docs
August 2020Collaborate with people who don't use a Google account
July 2020Use Dark theme on Android
Add page numbers to different sections
Display the word count as you type
Follow edits with a screen reader
Remove or adjust header or footer properties by section
Compare documents in Google Docs
Add & view section breaks in your document
To use this features, you need to sign in to Google Account through work or school, and you’re not signed into a Google Account. Click here to sign in to your Google Account.Activity dashboard now tracks view and comment trends in Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Learn more about the improved Activity dashboard.
Visual update for Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Sites
Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Sites will be getting a new look and feel on the web. Learn more about the new look.