If you know the result you need from a formula, you can use Goal Seek to find the missing value needed to achieve it.
For example, Goal Seek can be used:
- To conduct a break-even analysis for a business.
- To find out what score you need on your next test in order to earn the overall class grade you want.
To find your target values, install the Goal Seek add-on to Google Sheets. This add-on is only available in English.
Find a target value
- On your computer, open Google Sheets.
- At the top, click Extensions Goal Seek Add-on Open.
- Fill in the spreadsheet with the values you have and the formula you need to solve for.
- Click the cell that contains the formula.
- At the right, next to “Set cell,” click Capture selected cell .
- Under “To value,” enter the target value you want to reach.
- Click the cell that contains the unknown value you want to find.
- At the right, next to “By changing cell,” click Capture selected cell .
- Click Solve.
Learn about scripts and add-ons
Add-ons are covered by Google Apps Script Additional Terms.