YouTube video viewers have strong intent to watch the content they’ve come to YouTube for and because of that, are very likely to stay on the platform when they encounter an ad as part of their viewing experience. This tells us why 70% of YouTube viewers say that they bought a brand as a result of finding the brand on YouTube.
From YouTube, people don’t often take action directly after viewing the ad. Instead, they often take action after they’ve finished their full viewing session. This is where Engaged-view conversions come in.
An Engaged-view conversion caters specifically to video advertising (on YouTube and the Google Display Network) and the different behavior users exhibit when watching videos as opposed to viewing other types of ads.
Engaged-view conversions are counted when a user watches at least 10 seconds of a skippable in-stream ad (or watches the entire skippable in-stream ad, if it’s shorter than 10 seconds) and then converts within the Engaged-view conversion window.
- More accurate way to measure performance delivered by direct response video ads
- Greater indication of user engagement
- Better understand the value of your ads and grow your business as user behavior evolves and new viewing habits, devices, and experiences become available.
Engaged-view conversions for Display ads
Display campaigns showcase your visual ads across millions of sites and apps, making these ads a highly effective sales and marketing tool.
Measuring your campaigns and conversions accurately has never been more important and knowing the full impact of your Display ads means looking beyond clicks. Engaged-view conversions have proven to be a more robust non-click conversion metric, and you can use them in your Display campaigns with video assets.
Responsive display ads can feature video assets that you create and upload, or they can be generated automatically using your existing text and image assets. With Engaged-view conversions, you can help capture the value of those video assets in your campaign performance. Having this better understanding of the impact of your ads is a key first step toward improving their performance.
Engaged-view conversions reporting
- Display: You’ll find Engaged-view conversions included in the “All conversions” column of your Display campaign reporting (in the “Campaigns” tab on the page menu). “All conversions” includes the data in your “Conversions” column, conversion actions you’ve chosen not to include in your “Conversions” column, store visits, certain phone calls, and more. These additional conversions can give you a more accurate understanding of how users interact with your business, and this helps you better calculate the effectiveness of your advertising. Learn more about “All conversions”
- Video and App campaigns: You’ll find Engaged-view conversions included in the “Interactions” column of your Video and App campaign reporting (in the “Campaigns” tab on the page menu). Interactions include clicks, swipes, and views.
Engaged-view conversion windows
Engaged-view conversion windows vary depending on the type of campaign you’re running:
- TrueView for action campaign: 3 days
- App campaign for installs: 2 days
- App campaign for engagement: 1 day
- Display campaigns: 3 days