Like every automated bidding campaign type, Discovery ads optimize your ads and bids over time. For the best results after first set up, allow your campaigns enough time to ramp up and learn what works for your campaign.
- Ensure sufficient average daily budget and allow time for learning period (wait for at least 50 conversions) before making changes to your campaign.
Why: We tend to see ad groups with more than 50 conversions perform better; your goal should be to maximize conversion volumes to gain higher efficiency.
- Select your bid strategy based on historical campaign maturity.
Why: For advertisers who are new to Discovery ads, or have been experiencing challenges in scaling or serving their campaigns, the system may have little historical data to optimize properly at the beginning of the campaign life cycle. As you ramp up a new Discovery campaign, we recommend you follow a two-step approach:
- Step 1: To enable optimal machine learning, wait until your ad groups have achieved more than 50 conversions before switching to target CPA bidding.
- Step 2: Overtime, to gain more control over your cost and efficiency, you may want to switch to target CPA bidding (optional).
- After making changes to your campaign, wait two to three weeks before making more changes.
Why: Changing bidding strategies or adding new creative assets can cause short-term fluctuations in performance, which is normal as the system gathers the data needed to optimize performance. Avoid making changes based on these initial, temporary fluctuations.