Conversion tracking is an important tool in your online marketing campaigns. It’s important to accurately understand the status of your conversions and diagnose any conversion actions that have errors and aren’t working properly.
Tag Assistant is a tool that helps you verify your conversion actions on your website. Now, Tag Assistant is integrated with Google Ads and can be launched directly from your account to investigate conversions tracking tags. If your conversion action table shows a status of “unverified” or “tag inactive” in the tracking status column, you can use Tag Assistant to verify your conversion actions.
How it works
From your conversions summary table, you can launch Tag Assistant for any conversion actions in the “Unverified” or “Tag inactive” state.
Test your conversion actions with Tag Assistant in 4 steps
Tag Assistant will open in a new tab.
Connect to your website with Tag Assistant.
Test the conversion action by triggering it on your website.
When you're done, close Tag Assistant and refresh the conversions page to see the status of your conversion actions.
You can stop debugging at any time and you’ll see a summary of your verified conversion actions. After approximately 30 minutes, you'll see all conversion actions verified in this debug session updated in your Google Ads account.
Using Tag Assistant from your Google Ads account
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the upper right corner, click the tools icon , and under "Measurement", click Conversions.
- In the conversions summary table, look in the “Tracking status” column for “Unverified” or “Tag inactive” statuses.
- Click Troubleshoot in the “Actions” column.
- Click Get Started to open the Tag Assistant window. This will open a new window.
- Enter the URL of the web page you want to troubleshoot. It’s best to use a landing page or home page instead of the conversion page URL directly. Once you visit the landing page, you can navigate to the conversion page.
- Click Connect. This will open your web page in a new browser tab. The conversions summary table and Tag Assistant window will remain open for use later on. Do not close these tabs.
- Tag Assistant will guide you through the steps to verify the conversion action and provide feedback on each test. Once you have triggered the conversion actions you’d like to test, you can click Finish. Or, if you believe you triggered your conversion and Tag Assistant did not show that, you can click I thought I already triggered it.
- You can click and drag the Tag Assistant badge anywhere on the page, or minimize it, to view and test your web page.
- After you click Finish, the Tag Assistant badge and your web page will close. The results of your testing will open in the Tag Assistant window. The Results of troubleshooting page will show the results of the original conversion action you tested, as well as any other conversion action you tested. In this page, you can view additional information about each conversion action that was verified.
- Click Close Tag Assistant when you are done. Tag Assistant will return you to the Google Ads conversions summary page.
Once you have closed Tag Assistant, the conversion actions table will refresh. Verified conversion actions will appear as “no recent conversions”. When the web page does receive conversions, the status will change to “Recording”.
If you tested the conversion action in Tag Assistant but did not get feedback:
- Click I thought I already triggered it. Tag Assistant will display the failed results with recommendations for fixing the problem.
- Click Finish in the Tag Assistant badge to close the troubleshooting session.
- Check the Tag Assistant window for any additional information.