This article explains how to convert your existing business data text ad customizers to responsive search ad customizers using the responsive search ad spreadsheet template.
1. Create the attributes
Unlike for text ads, you need to first create your customizer (define the ad attributes) even if the customizers already exist for text ads. You can choose to add attributes individually or upload multiple from a spreadsheet.
Create attributes individually
Create the attributes from a spreadsheet
- Download the example template to see the format to follow.
- Add the attribute names, data type, and account value to columns A through C.
- Create attributes:
- Enter the name of the attribute in the "Attribute" column.
- Enter the character format that your attribute uses in the "Data type" column.
- Enter the value that appears for your attribute in the "Account value” column.
- Note: Attribute rows must come before customizer value rows and leave rows 8 through 12 under columns A through C in the template blank. There’s a limit of 40 ad customizer attributes that can be created.
- Create attributes:
2. Remove unsupported text ad targeting attributes and values
Your existing spreadsheet for text ad customizers may contain attributes that are not accepted with responsive search ads. Text ad attributes that are not currently supported with responsive search ad customizer business data:
- Target location
- Target location restriction
- Device preferences
- Countdown within the business data
3. Remove “Target” from targeting attribute column headers
Your existing spreadsheet for text ad customizers contains “Target” in the column headers for targeting attributes. To enable spreadsheet compatibility with responsive search ads, column headers should omit the word “Target”:
- Target campaign -> Campaign
- Target ad group -> Ad Group
- Target keyword -> Keyword
4. Rename custom attribute customizer columns
Your existing spreadsheet for text ad customizers contains column headers for custom attributes. These headers must now follow the Customizer:_____ naming format.
- Add “Customizer:”
- Remove “(data type)”
5. Upload updated file
Upload the updated file to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tools icon.
- Under “Bulk Actions”, select Uploads.
- Click the plus button.
- Select the source where the file will be uploaded from.
- Select Preview to view the changes to your ads before you save.
- Click Apply.