Conversion tracking can help you see how effectively your ad clicks lead to valuable customer activity on your website, such as purchases, sign-ups, and form submissions.
This article demonstrates how to create a conversion action to track customer actions on your website.
Before you begin
- Don't add the Google tag (
gtag.js) in Google Tag Manager via custom HTML or a template as it may not work as intended.
- If you want to automatically set up conversion with URLs, you will need to install the
gtag.jssnippet directly in your website.
- We recommend reconfiguring enhanced conversions and enhanced conversions for leads directly in your Tag Manager container.
There are two steps to set up conversion tracking:
|Create a conversion action||Set up your Google tag|
Before you can set up website conversion tracking you need:
- A website: This is where you'll put the Google tag code.
- Ability to edit website code: Either you or your web developer will need to be able to add the code to your website.
To learn more about how conversion tracking works and why to use it, read About conversion tracking.
Or, if you're not sure if website conversion tracking is right for you, you can find instructions for all the different kinds of conversion tracking here.