Message assets let prospective customers chat with your business right from your Search ads.
Online customers increasingly prefer to reach out to businesses through messaging. By giving customers the ability to easily chat with your business, you can more effectively engage users and acquire new customers through messaging. Message assets are eligible to serve on Android devices. A chat experience opens after a user clicks on the chat prompt on your ad.
Message assets are available for Search and Performance Max campaign types and come in 2 forms:
- Chat experience opens when people tap your ad's headline
Example ad that opens the chat experience from the headline
- Chat experience opens when people tap the message asset shown below your headline and description
Example ad shown with message asset below headline and description
Your ad’s headline will automatically start with “Chat now", so you don’t need to include either phrase when writing your headlines. You can learn more at the Business Messages Help Center.
- Expand your customers’ experience. Message assets expand how your business can engage with customers using a platform that’s familiar to them, easy to use, and doesn’t require additional apps.
- Generate meaningful leads and sales. You can use familiar ads tools to engage more deeply with customers and drive leads and sales through rich and engaging customer interactions in chat.
- Improve conversion measurement and goals. Message assets can enable accurate and valuable conversion measurement through in-chat actions, web site redirects, offline conversion imports, and store visits/ store sales metrics where relevant. If you don’t import your offline conversions, Google Ads provides a default conversion measurement that lets you measure chat interactions.
How message assets work
Before you can add message assets to your campaigns, you need to:
- Create a Business Messages chat experience (an “agent”) for your business. You can work with a trusted partner of Google’s Business Messages to create the chat experience or build it yourself.
- Create a default greeting for the chat experience. You can also create custom greetings that align with your campaigns.
- Get "Links from Business Messages" to link the default or custom chat experience to your message assets. You or your partner can find the links in the Business Communications Developer Console under Advertise > Links for Google Ads. There's a link for each default and custom greeting you designed, so you can pair the right greeting with your message asset.
After completing the tasks above, you will take the link associated with the preferred greeting experience for your ad and copy-paste the link into the “Link from Business Messages” field under “Add message.” You can load the same link in your web browser to preview the chat experience and confirm it’s the right greeting. Learn more about how to use message assets
You can create message assets to map to your campaigns. Depending on your advertising goals, you can build a custom greeting for each message assets campaign ID or ad group ID. Learn more about custom greetings
The ad formats for messages eligible to serve with your campaign are based on the campaign’s goal. Review the table below to learn which campaign goals are needed for a particular format to serve.
|Goal setup||Eligible ad format|
|Message leads goal only||
Ad that opens the chat experience from the headline
|Message leads goal and other goals||
Note: Depending on which format performs better, one format may serve more than the other.
|Other goals only||
Ad, which may still serve with message asset
Note: If you remove the message leads goal from your campaign, but add a message asset, the campaign will serve the message asset only with no guaranteed frequency.