Simplify your account structure. Automated bidding doesn’t require having campaigns or ad groups broken out by keyword match type, geo, device, etc. It will work across all account structures. Smart Bidding may also help improve performance on past campaigns or keywords that underperformed under manual bidding.
- Base your campaigns on objectives - Automated bidding is objective-based bidding, which means a single campaign should generally have the same type of objective. For example: if you are optimizing for clicks on certain keywords but for conversions on other keywords, they should get their own campaigns.
- Avoid campaigns that are limited by budget - Ideally, you’ll want your average daily budget at least 20-30% higher than your campaign average daily spend. This allows you to capture the full opportunity that Smart Bidding can drive. Use the maximize conversions or maximize conversion value strategy if you have daily budget goals.
- Don’t worry about maxing out Impression Share (unless your objective is visibility) - An impression share lower than 80% is expected for any campaign on Smart Bidding. This allows for growth opportunities. If Impression Share is higher than 80%, it may be time to expand your reach with additional keywords, audiences, expanded targeting, or Dynamic Search Ads.
- Make ad groups (or campaigns) relevant - Relevance within ad groups is still important. Relevant ads are more useful for users, and click-through rates and conversion rates are often better with high relevance from search term to ad to landing page.
- Use broad match keywords and Dynamic Search Ads to scale performance - Smart Bidding bids at the search query-level, not just the keyword-level. Using broad match keywords allows the machine to find additional queries that help you reach your objectives.
- Add first-party audience lists (e.g., remarketing, Customer Match) to increase Smart Bidding efficiency - Smart Bidding accounts for audience list performance. Adding lists to a campaign or ad group on Smart Bidding gives the automation more information and can improve efficiency.
- Bid beyond last click - Consider using a data-driven attribution model to value every click throughout a customer’s journey to a conversion.