Promotion assets can add more value to your Search Network text ads by highlighting your sales and promotions for people that are searching for the best deals your business has to offer. This article explains the benefits of promotion assets and how they show with your search ads.
How they show
Promotion assets show below your ad in an easy to read format that catches the eye of your potential customers.
The special occasion you select, for example, "Back-to-school” or “Mother’s Day” appears as a bold label next to your promotional text.
The asset also displays up to 2 lines of text that includes details of your promotion. Potential customers can easily spot the sale in your promotion assets as they stand out from the main ad text. When someone clicks or taps on the asset, they go directly to the special offer that interests them on your site.
Promotion assets can show your offers in various formats—mobile and desktop—on the Search Network. They appear in ads at the top and bottom of Google search results. Additionally, they are available in all languages.Additionally, they are available in all languages.
When to use
Use promotion assets to attract customers that are searching for special offers and sales relevant to your business. Holidays or special events such as Back-to-school sales and Black Friday are great times to use promotion assets.
Use promotion assets to include monetary or percent discounts for your products or services. You can also include any requirements needed for your promotion such as coupon or discount codes for a specified time period or a spending limit.
Here are a few reasons to consider adding promotion assets to your ads:
- Update easily: Select from a list of pre-populated occasions. You don't need to make new text ads to keep them up-to-date for sales and special offers that occur at different times.
- Edit your asset without losing data: Edit your promotion asset without resetting its performance statistics.
- Flexible scheduling: Choose to show your promotion assets within the date of the occasion or specify dates, days of week, or times of day your promotion assets are eligible to show.
You can add promotion assets at the account, campaign, or ad group level. If you create promotion assets at different levels (account, campaign, or ad group), the most specific will be used. So when you add promotion assets to an ad group, those assets show instead of your campaign- or account-level promotion assets. Likewise, campaign-level assets override account-level assets.
Cost of clicks
Promotion assets are free to add—you’re only charged for clicks from people viewing your ad. The cost of a click on a promotion asset equals the cost of a click on the headline in the same ad. In other words, you'll be charged the same amount no matter which link in the same ad someone clicks. Promotion assets offer more opportunities for your customers to click on and within your ad, but you won’t be charged for more than two clicks per ad impression. However, if someone quickly clicks on more than one link while viewing an ad, this gets treated as a second click and you won't get charged.
Occasions for your promotions
See which occasions and dates are available for promotion assets:
|Occasions||Start date||End date|
|New Year's||Dec 1||Feb 28|
|Boxing Day||Dec 15||Jan 15|
|Epiphany||Dec 15||Jan 31|
|Chinese New Year||Jan 15||Mar 1|
|Valentine's Day||Jan 15||Feb 28|
|Carnival||Feb 1||Mar 31|
|Holi||Feb 1||Mar 31|
|Women's day||Feb 15||Mar 31|
|Passover||Feb 15||May 1|
|Easter||Mar 1||Apr 30|
|Parent's Day||Apr 15||Aug 1|
|Labor Day*||Apr 15||Sep 15|
|Rosh Hashanah||Aug 15||Nov 1|
|Diwali||Sep 1||Dec 1|
|Navratri||Sep 15||Oct 31|
|Halloween**||Oct 1||Nov 15|
|Singles Day||Oct 15||Nov 30|
|Black Friday||Oct 15||Dec 15|
|Cyber Monday||Oct 15||Dec 15|
|Christmas||Nov 1||Jan 15|
|St. Nicholas Day||Nov 1||Dec 31|
|Hanukkah||Nov 15||Jan 31|
|Back to school||Any||Any|
|End of Season||Any||Any|
|Eid Al Adha||Any||Any|
*Not available in Dutch, Norwegian, Hebrew and Japanese languages
**Not available in Malay, Polish and Hebrew languages
Available in Japanese
|Occasion||Start date||End date|
|Year-end Gift||Nov 1||Dec 31|
Available in Thai
|Occasion||Start date||End date|
|Songkran||Mar 15||May 1|
How to create promotion assets
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Go to the Ad & assets page menu and click Assets in the subpage menu.
- Click on the plus button and select Promotion asset.
- Choose to add the promotion asset to your account, campaign, or ad group.
- Select the occasion for your promotion (optional). The name of the occasion appears in your ad asset. The dates for each occasion is when your asset may be eligible to show. To narrow this date range, use the Advanced options.
- Select the language and currency of your promotion.
- Choose to show a monetary or percentage discount as your Promotion type.
- Enter the name of the product or service you’re offering.
- Enter the Final URL that will show in your ad.
- Select the type of Offer and enter any requirements for your promotion such as a special code or spending limit.
- In Promotion dates (optional), enter the dates you would like to show on your ad.
Choose optional settings and save
- Expand Advanced options, to change the dates and times of when your promotion asset is eligible to show.
- You can narrow the date range, but you can’t select dates outside of the occasion date range. Otherwise, deselect the occasion and enter the start date and end date for when you wish to run your promotion.
- You can also use “Days and hours” to choose more specific days and times for when your asset may be eligible to show.