Available for Search and Shopping campaigns, Smart Bidding for store visits allows you to optimize for store visits, using the same bid strategies used for online conversions. Learn more about Smart Bidding
Store visits are currently supported in Smart Bidding for Display campaigns for select advertisers only. If you are running Display campaigns in the same account as Search (or Shopping) campaigns and also report store visits for Display campaigns, you can include store visits in Display Target CPA, Target ROAS, and Maximize Conversions bid strategies.
Keep in mind, Store visits are not supported in Smart Bidding for Video and Display campaigns yet. Store visits will show in conversions for Video campaigns when applied at the account level, but won't be included in bid optimization for these campaigns. Consider tracking store visits at the campaign level or Create custom columns for Video and Display campaigns to maintain consistency in conversion reporting.
About store visit conversions
If visits to your physical locations are important to your business, you can use conversion tracking to help you understand how your ad clicks and viewable impressions influence store visits. Learn more about store visit conversions
How to value a store visit
If you are tracking online sales as conversions and value them as the “Revenue” generated, you can also value store visits to estimate in-store revenue. This way you can measure total revenue and return on ad spend. For more information about how to value a store visit, read About store visit conversion value or watch our video on How to value your store visits.
Best practices for store visit conversion window
We recommend using a 7 day store visit conversion window for best performance and evaluation with Smart Bidding. However for specific business models that require a longer conversion window due to longer purchase cycles (for example, auto dealerships), it's possible to keep the 30-day conversion window. Keep in mind, when using a 30-day window, it will take longer after implementation to correctly evaluate the performance of Smart Bidding with store visits. Learn more about store visit conversion window
Set up Smart Bidding for store visits in your campaigns
Bid strategies supported
For Search campaigns, Smart Bidding to store visit conversions is supported in all bid strategies that optimize for conversions. Learn more on how to determine a bid strategy on your goals
For Shopping campaigns and Smart Shopping campaigns, Smart Bidding to store visit conversions is supported by Target ROAS bidding.
1. Set your store visits conversion goal as an account-default goal (recommended)
By setting your store visits conversion goal as an account-default goal, Smart Bidding strategies that optimize for conversions in that account will start optimizing towards it. If the conversion is owned by a manager account level, that setting will apply to all campaigns using Smart Bidding in client accounts which are opted into tracking conversions under that manager account. It is recommended to set your store visits conversion goal as account-default whenever possible, since the best overall performance is achieved by optimizing for the same set of conversions across all campaigns.
Set store visits conversion goal as account-default:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click on the tools icon .
- Under “Measurement”, select Conversions.
- In the “Conversion Summary” tab, identify the Store visits conversion goal.
- Click Edit goal.
- Select Use as an account goal.
- Click Save changes.
Keep in mind, when setting your store visits conversion goal:
- Make sure to update ROAS or CPA targets of all existing Search and Shopping conversion-based Smart Bidding campaigns when you set your store visits conversion goal at the client or manager account level, to take into account the additional conversions or conversion value from store visits.
- Smart Bidding strategies consider all conversion actions that are marked as ”Primary”. Ensure that the conversion actions you’d like to optimize toward within your Store Visits goal are marked as “Primary”.
2. Set your store visits conversion goal at the campaign level
This setting allows you to choose the conversion actions that will be reported in “Conversions” and used for bid optimization at the campaign-level. The campaign conversion setting allows you to override your account-default goals and specify which goals you’d like to track in your conversion reporting and use for bidding in a particular campaign.. Using the campaign level conversion setting is recommended as an interim solution if you have existing bid strategies that optimize for conversions and would prefer to test and scale adoption of bidding to store visits throughout the account over time.
Set up campaign-level conversion setting for Search campaigns:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Select Search campaigns in the navigation menu.
- In the page menu, click on Settings to find the “Campaign settings” page.
- Select the campaign you want to opt into store visits bidding.
- Click Additional settings.
- Click Goals.
- Click Use Campaign-specific goal settings.
- Select the Store visits conversion goal in addition to other conversion goals you would like to optimize for and click Save.
We recommend switching to the account level setting once you’re ready to set your store visits conversion goal, since optimizing for the same goals across all campaigns leads to best overall performance. If you have other biddable conversion actions (such as website purchases, calls, sign-ups), we recommend selecting these in addition to store visits conversion action to optimize for the full value driven by the campaign. Learn how to enable campaign-level conversion setting
Optimizing for store visit conversions
If you want to optimize more for store visit conversions in your Search campaigns, use a value-based bid strategy and make sure store visit conversions have a higher relative value to other conversion actions. Bid strategies that optimize for conversion volume (like Target CPA or Maximize Conversions) treat each conversion action with equal importance. Learn more about conversion values
For Shopping ads, only value-based bidding (like Target ROAS and Smart Shopping campaigns) will take into account store visits.
Best practices for identifying and updating targets
Keep in mind that changes to conversion settings apply going forward only. When you first include store visits in "Conversions", historical values in conversion columns will not reflect the current setting. Best practice is to calculate CPA and ROAS targets manually by incorporating historical data from at least a 30-day period before the conversion delay into the following formulas:
- CPA target = cost / (all biddable conversions + store visits)
- ROAS target = (conversion value of all biddable conversions + store visits * current conversion value per store visit) * 100 / cost
For ROAS targets in Smart Shopping campaigns, follow the advice above for ROAS targets unless:
- You are not using the optional ROAS target: No action is required.
- You are using the ROAS target only as a safety mechanism (your ROAS target is set higher than your achieved ROAS): Consider setting the new ROAS target also higher than the number recommended above.
Make sure to use data from at least a 30-day period before the conversion delay. For example, if your store visit conversion window and maximum online conversion delay is 30 days, set the historical period to be from 60 to 30 days ago.
Cost impact for adding conversions or conversion value to target-based Smart Bidding strategies
Adding store visits to the conversions used for bidding may cause your Target CPA, Target ROAS, and Smart Shopping campaigns (if using the optional ROAS target) strategies to spend more to continue achieving your targets. To maintain stable spend, follow the above suggestions to identify and update targets. If you want to further ensure that spend is stable, you can decrease your CPA target or increase your ROAS target once you include store visits in “Conversions”.